Sunday, October 3, 2010

Flattery

As a part of their jobs, many of the trainees are asked to pick pseudonyms for when they are on the phone. Some Americans have a difficulty hearing and repeating Srikalaivaani, and so they are asked to start going by "Paul" or "Carrie". Thus begins the infamous dialogue:

"Hi, welcome to (huge company), my name is Cory, how may I help you?"
"Wait, your name isn't really Cory, is it? I know your name isn't Cory. What's your real name"
"Hari Kumar Balasubramanian"
"Umm, ok, let's stick with Cory."

From time to time I hear back from the trainees who are getting ready to start answering phones. A few days ago one sent me an email stating that he had been asked to choose a pseudonym and was proud to tell me that he had chosen Neil Miller as his fake name. I was at once amazed and in disbelief. Flattered, yet slightly unsettled. So, just in case you run into him on the phone, I wanted to let everyone know that I have neither switched jobs nor started a cult.

3 comments:

Lena said...

haha...I love it! I was looking for the "like" button to press and then realized this isnt facebook :)

Mark Wright said...

Now that is funny. I hope I never need to make that call, but if I do, I want to talk to Neil Miller.
Mark

Mandy said...

Hahahaha. I love this.