Thursday, March 10, 2011

Texting Over Talking

I remember being so annoyed with texting in high school and college. I swore up and down that I didn't need texting and would never get it. Why text when you can talk? And then I moved to India.

Texting is everywhere here! In the 6 years that I had a cell phone in the US, I probably texted 3 times total. In Chennai, I text an average of 6 times everyday. It's just not worth it to call here. Most people don't have voicemail (it costs extra to have it) and if any of you have been out and about in Chennai, you know that it isn't very practical to answer your phone every time it rings. We've had many yelling phone conversations in the back of an auto, trying to be heard over the noise.

It took me some time to adjust to messaging people, but now I really love it. It's so practical! The two most difficult adjustments have been increasing the amount of smiley faces I use :) :) :) and exclamation marks!!! But, next to learning Tamil, these are a breeze.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

That's great! I also told myself I would never text back in the day. When we were at our last church I kept telling the high school girls to please not text me because I didn't have a plan for it. I soon realized that if I ever wanted to communicate with the students, I best get on the bandwagon. Now, I have a big texting plan, and have been able to help the girls at all hours of the day with only minor interruptions. In fact, Sonny has had great success getting our Junior High Youth Group to finally read the Bible:
1. Text them a small passage every day and tell them to read it.
2. Ask them to text you back when they have finished reading it.
3. Promise them a party at the youth pastor's house for those who consistently read their Bible.
4. = Success!
:) :) :) Rachel Clark