Monday, June 21, 2010

Handy Man

I've always aspired to being a handyman around the house. It is such a great feeling to be able to see something that needs fixed and totally fix it with your own hands.

Here in India, there is not a lot of room for the do-it-yourself personality. No Home Depot, no Lowe's, and a lot of funny looks if you walk into a small hardware store.

So, when a few problems arose in our flat, I was anxious to see how well I
could fix them using only the tools I brought over (1 screwdriver, 1 pair of pliers).

Problem #1: The drain where the water from our washing machine empties is too high. The hose usually comes out and then floods the bathroom with dirty water. After many attempts to correct this one, I finally realized I needed to stabilize the hose somehow to stay up.

Solution: I used a lot of string from some bags we had to make one long rope which I tied to the washing machine and then to the hose. I'm pretty proud of that one as it has worked and stayed in place.



















Problem #2: The doorstop on the bathroom door will not stay up and so it is always dragging and prevents you from ever actually closing the door.

Solution: I wanted to lodge something in the hinge to keep the doorstep from falling down. Without many other options I chose to chew two pieces of Juicy Fruit (to match the paint) and set them around the doorstop, hoping it would dry and hold it up. That idea failed miserably. The doorstop is still annoying and now it has gum all over it.































With the odds stacked against me, I think 1 out of 2 is pretty good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my. You made your own rope. Priceless! Your blog reads like an episode of "Survivor". Hey, the gum thingee was a great effort. But do you now have a line of ants marching to it??? :) I'm smiling today. Mark/dad

Lena said...

haha! love it! heres a suggestion for the doorstop...since it looks like rubber at the top, get a small nail and hammer it through the rubber into the wood door...that is, if you can get your hands on a nail, haha! tell em its for hanging a picture on the wall.. :)

The McKnights said...

Way to go Mr. handy man! You almost made McGiver status with the gum, but better luck next time. Try 5 minute epoxy if you can find some. I once attached the agitator of a washing machine with epoxy. It worked great!

Justin